Monday, July 11, 2011

Interview with Arman from The Kingdom: The Quest by Sean McGuire


Not the final cover...so stay tuned!

The Kingdom: The Quest is the beginning of a war that wasn't supposed to happen. Part One of The Kingdom Trilogy finds Arman, a timid young man, grieving in the wake of a terrible attack on his home village. 
 
An old man who had tormented him for two weeks past comes to him with three revelations. The old man himself is Menemaeus, the spirit who has defended Arman's world for mellenia. 
 
The Nameless One, a terrible enemy of old, has returned when he was not supposed to be able to. And Arman is the heir of a line of kings that is no longer supposed to exist. 

Menemaeus cannot defeat the Nameless One without a special item of power. As he seeks it, he sends Arman on a quest to warn as many countries as he can about the Nameless One, and build an alliance to hold out until Menemaeus returns. 

Arman sets out in a world that grows more and dangerous, with every mile he takes from home...

Arman, Please introduce yourself to us and tell us about the book you are in.

I'm Arman. Well... I should have said the Heir of the First Dynasty. Please don't get angry. I'm still trying to get used to it. So much has happened recently. My father was killed, and my village nearly burned to the ground. The protector of my world, Menemaeus, told me I'm the Heir of the First Dynasty. Those kings founded my country, Gyrden. They were supposed to be dead ages ago! And now the Nameless One is back, and Menemaeus wants me to warn as many countries as I can before the Nameless One attacks. The Kingdom: The Quest is the story of my attempt to do that.

What's the hardest part about living in your world, fulfilling your quest?

I've never had to speak to kings before in my life. I never even saw one before! All my life I've been taught to bow to royalty; now I must speak to them as an equal. That's not as easy as you think. And traveling outside of Gyrden has gotten dangerous lately! I have amazing bodyguards, but I still we don’t see any orcs.

I understand another character, Menemaeus, has come into your world and really upset the balance of things. And your quest requires you to step out of what is comfortable for you. Can you tell us about this and the impact it's having on your life?

I'm absolutely bewildered. Every night, I go to bed and get swamped by a million different sensations. Father is dead. I'm in strange lands, among strange people. Danger is never far away. There are forces that want me dead. I have to look like a hero now, so people won't despair. Will anyone listen to my message? Will they believe me? How long do I have before the Nameless One's armies arrive? 
I can't handle it all. I don't know if I'm going to make it. And Menemaeus terrifies me! I don't want to know what he'll do if I fail him. 

Is there anything else you can tell us about you or your book that will make us all rush to buy it? 

I get chased through dark forests and ferocious rivers. I get thrown off towers and rattled by explosions. I even tumble down a waterfall. A friend of mine turns into a murderer, and another one falls in love with the werewolf who tried to kill him. A woman with great political power tries to seduce me. And my hopes get dashed by the end of the book. 

When and where can we purchase it?

October 20, 2011. My creator is publishing The Kingdom: The Quest as an e-book on Smashwords.com. There you'll be able to download it in several different formats, including Kindle, Sony Reader, Kobo, and PDF. If it makes the Smashwords Premium Catalog, it will be distributed to online booksellers like Apple and Barnes & Noble. If that happens, I'll be sure to let you know.

Tell us about your creator and where we might find him. 

This is him. The man behind the story.
His name is Sean McGuire. He studies English at Benedictine College, writes about me, and looks at sunsets to find a new way to describe them. There's a blog that he is insufferably proud about. I hate to hurt people's feelings, but he spends too much time on it. It's at http://thekingdomtrilogy.wordpress.com/. He wastes even more time at http://twitter.com/#!/TheKingdomBooks. Heaven knows what he does on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment